Tablespace issues (comment on ,moving indexes)

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Tablespace issues (comment on ,moving indexes)
Date: 2004-08-09 17:23:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi!

I'm currently working on the psql tab-complete code, fixing quite a lot
of bugs/annoyances in the process.
One of the things I'm trying to do is syncing the available commands in
psql with the docs - during this work I found two irritating things
regarding tablespaces:

1. there is no COMMENT ON TABLESPACE support - it is neither documented
nor does it seem to work using the obvious syntax (COMMENT ON TABLESPACE
'foo' IS 'bar').

2. how is one supposed to move indexes(not tables) to another tablespace?

The (devel)docs have this in the ALTER TABLE - section:
"This form changes the table's tablespace to the specified tablespace
and moves the data file(s) associated with the table to the new
tablespace. Indexes on the table, if any, are not moved; but they can be
moved separately with additional SET TABLESPACE commands. "

not sure how to interpret that - who would an example for moving an
index look like given that (AFAIR there is nothing like ALTER INDEX
'foo' SET TABLESPACE 'bar') ?

thanks

Stefan