logger subprocess including win32

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: logger subprocess including win32
Date: 2004-08-04 21:02:35
Lists: pgsql-patches

Attached the patch, an orgy in #ifdefs, decorated with various indents
and crlf line ends (glad we have pgindent).

Remarks:
Log_destination for win32 is set to file, because stderr is equivalent
to /dev/null for services. This doesn't reflect correctly in
postgresql.conf.sample.

Log_destination=eventlog is like logging to /var/log/messages, you'd
make the sysadmin your enemy if he finds his app log flooded with
"NOTICE: created implicit index for pk". FYI: The size of the event log
is limited (default: 512k), cyclic overwriting can be selected, but *no*
rotation. Only really important messages should go there, not standard
logging. OTOH, really important messages *must* go there, so I changed
FATAL and PANIC messages to eventlog unconditionally.

Regards,
Andreas

Attachment Content-Type Size
logfile.diff text/x-patch 11.2 KB