Re: server closed the connection unexpectedly

From: "Mark Greenbank" <mark(dot)greenbank(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: server closed the connection unexpectedly
Date: 2006-10-06 15:20:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the reply -- yeah, I know it's and old version but management has
been reluctant to update a production database.
As for the logs, I looked around an didn't see any. pg_ctl start is not
using the -l option for logging and output is redirected to /dev/null :(

Anyway, now I have some room to update, which leads to the following
questions:

1) I'm assuming that if I update 7.3.2 to 7.3.15 I can leave the data in
place (that is, without doing a dump/restore) -- is this correct?
2) If I up upgrade to 8.x can just copy the data files or do I have to do a
dump/restore? The latter would be hard since pg_dump also fails on this same
table and pg_dump doesn't seem to have an 'ignore table' option.

Mark