Re: Fix search_path for all maintenance commands

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Isaac Morland <isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Gurjeet Singh <gurjeet(at)singh(dot)im>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: Fix search_path for all maintenance commands
Date: 2023-11-06 20:53:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Isaac Morland <isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I still think the right default is that CREATE FUNCTION stores the
> search_path in effect when it runs with the function, and that is the
> search_path used to run the function (and don't "BEGIN ATOMIC" functions
> partially work this way already?).

I don't see how that would possibly fly. Yeah, that behavior is
often what you want, but not always; we would break some peoples'
applications with that rule.

Also, one place where it's clearly NOT what you want is while
restoring a pg_dump script. And we don't have any way that we could
bootstrap ourselves out of breaking everything for everybody during
their next upgrade --- even if you insist that people use a newer
pg_dump, where is it going to find the info in an existing database?