Re: OWNER TO on all objects

From: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: OWNER TO on all objects
Date: 2004-06-16 01:59:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Well, the advantage of SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION is that it is SQL
> compliant, whereas ALTER OWNER is not. So I'm in favor of changing
> nothing.

That, however is a highly theoretical, and quite non-practical
"solution". It leaves many of the world's postgresql database
non-upgradable and "fixing" postgres so that revoking someone's create
privilege dropped all their tables is _madness_. You can't but agree
that the SQL spec is totally broken in that respect. They've broken the
underlying orthogonality of their permissions system.

I think Tom even may have mentioned that the SQL rules about that sort
of thing only seem to apply to domains or something anyway...

I mean, if I (as a PostgreSQL developer) cannot upgrade my _own_
database then how does anyone else have a chance?

Chris