lost pg_xlog // recover database-structure without it?

From: Dennis Breithaupt <dennisb(at)tetaworx(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: lost pg_xlog // recover database-structure without it?
Date: 2004-06-11 15:03:40
Lists: pgsql-general

Hy all,

I request your support for the following problem. (with "postmaster
(PostgreSQL) 7.4.1")

On a development-system I lost the pg_xlog-directory due to a system
crash, where the physical device on which the mountpoint pg_xlog was
located got broken.

LOG: could not open file
"/usr/local/pgsql/data/./pg_xlog/0000000100000041" (log file 1, segment
65): No such file or directory
LOG: invalid primary checkpoint record
LOG: could not open file
"/usr/local/pgsql/data/./pg_xlog/0000000100000041" (log file 1, segment
65): No such file or directory
LOG: invalid secondary checkpoint record
PANIC: could not locate a valid checkpoint record
LOG: startup process (PID 624) was terminated by signal 6
LOG: aborting startup due to startup process failure

So postmaster is not able to start up.

There is no problem with the data, if that would be lost, but I need the
datadefinition i.e. structure of the tables, as I have no recent backup
of that. :-(

It would even be no problem, if the database would start up and would be
inconsistent or empty, as the data get's imported from an old
to-be-replaced Sybase DBMS.

Is there a possibility to extract the data definition or to force
postmaster to start, even in an inconsistent state or with all
"contents" deleted?

Thanx very much in advance,

Dennis Breithaupt