thread safety tests

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: thread safety tests
Date: 2004-06-09 13:13:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I am wondering why thread_test.c is checking for mktemp()? That function
is nowhere used in the libpq.

Also, I would suggest that we allow to build the libpq with thread
specific compiler options, even if it is not entirely thread safe. It
would require that a really multithreaded application has to have
mutexes around certain operations, but being entirely unable to
configure in a way that adds thread compile options to the CFLAGS makes
libpq completely useless for multithreaded programs on some platforms
(for example Solaris).

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #