Re: GiST -- making my index faster makes is slower

From: David Blasby <dblasby(at)refractions(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GiST -- making my index faster makes is slower
Date: 2004-04-16 21:42:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> I'd suggest profiling the backend with both key types to get an idea of
> where the time is going.

I've been trying to use gprof to do some profiling, but I'm having
troubles. Whats the best way to profile?

> PS: actually, allowing for the 12-byte index tuple overhead, you
> couldn't have even twice as many keys per page. So there's something
> mighty odd here. Keep us posted.

Using the old system, I'd get about 7 internal node hits and about 110
"leaf" hits. Under the new one, I get about 4 internal node hits and
about 160 "leaf" hits.

I'm just in the process of changing the key to:

typedef struct
{
float xmin;
float ymin;
float xmax;
float ymax;
char junk[16]; // make the 16 byte type into 32!
} BOX2DFLOAT4;

To see what happens.

dave