Re: performance problem aftrer update from 7.1 to 7.4.2

From: "Development - multi(dot)art(dot)studio" <dev(dot)null(at)multiartstudio(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: performance problem aftrer update from 7.1 to 7.4.2
Date: 2004-04-14 00:56:10
Lists: pgsql-general

hello again,

thanks for help :)

i re-dumped the database (called mcms09) from postgres 7.1 with the
pg_dump command from 7.4.2 successfully and restored it to 7.4.2
(database called mcms, postgres 7.4.2 running on a different port)

i compared some querys from 7.1 to 7.4.2 and put all the output of the
explain command to a website, because i think its too much for posting
it here.
i just see that most time is spent in sorting the tables before (?)
creating the filter.

7.1:
mcms09=> explain select * from newsletter where site_id='m000000-970' order by date desc,id desc limit 10;
NOTICE: QUERY PLAN:
Limit (cost=9.26..9.26 rows=7 width=84)
-> Sort (cost=9.26..9.26 rows=8 width=84)
-> Index Scan using site_id_newsletter_key on newsletter (cost=0.00..9.14 rows=8 width=84)
EXPLAIN
7.4.2:
mcms=# explain select * from newsletter where site_id='m000000-970' order by date desc,id desc limit 10;
QUERY PLAN
Limit (cost=17.78..17.81 rows=10 width=610)
-> Sort (cost=17.78..17.81 rows=11 width=610)
Sort Key: date, id
-> Index Scan using site_id_newsletter_key on newsletter (cost=0.00..17.59 rows=11 width=610)
Index Cond: ((site_id)::text = 'm000000-970'::text)
(5 rows)

but this query is the first one, done only once, then another subset of querys follow 10 times , the others depend on this first one, in my opinion this cant be the big factor which slows down the dbs

i also added new indexes to both databases on news, newsletter and
newsletter_send table, speeding up the query by factor 10 :-) but 7.1 is
always faster ....

you can see all the stuff , query, table layout and explains on the
website http://www.erdtrabant.de/index.php?i=60500

thanks in advance
volker