Re: rotatelogs integration in pg_ctl

From: Andrew Hammond <ahammond(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: rotatelogs integration in pg_ctl
Date: 2004-04-08 18:36:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Andrew Hammond <ahammond(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info> writes:
>
>>I've attached a patch for pg_ctl which integrates the Apache project's
>>rotatelogs for logging.
>
> Why bother? You just pipe pg_ctl's output to rotatelogs and you're
> done.

It's not difficult to do, once you know how and once you know that there
aren't any gotchas. However, the question comes up often enough it's
clear that not everybody knows how. This provides a simple, clean,
standardized way of using rotatelog. The patch is simple, low risk, and
limited impact. So, why not?

Drew