Re: Socket communication for contrib

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Socket communication for contrib
Date: 2004-04-07 13:39:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Fabien COELHO wrote:

>> > Is it better in /contrib or gborg?
>>
>> Gborg imho. I thought we were trying to move all non-core code there
>> now. Isn't that why psqlodbc etc. were moved?
>
> The argument was that it can be devopped and released independently?
>
> Features in "contrib/" have a premium over external add-ons.

That is probably the average users perception. But I hope that is not
the reason why dblink, dbmirror and the "rserv prototype" are under
contrib/ while projects like erserver and slony1 live on gborg - just to
take this class of projects as an example.

I totally agree that gborg is the right place for this, as it is for
another few things that still are in contrib/ and don't belong there.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #