Re: regression tests require some file(s) to be installed first.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: wefraser(at)yahoo(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: regression tests require some file(s) to be installed first.
Date: 2022-10-10 14:26:20
Lists: pgsql-docs

PG Doc comments form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> I used all of the defaults and steps 1 and 2 looked good, but when tried to
> run the regression tests in step 3, the database failed to load with the
> following error in
> "/Users/bfraser/tools/postgresql-14.5/src/test/regress/log/initdb.log":
> dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.5.dylib

> After I ran step 4 (make install), the regression test worked perfectly.

Yeah, thanks to some dubious "security" restrictions in macOS,
make check doesn't work unless you first do make install.
(Basically, they've lobotomized DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH, so that
the executables will only look for libraries in the configured
installation library directory :-(. It's far from clear to me
why that's of any security value when they still let you change
PATH, but I don't work there.)

This is documented in the macOS-specific installation notes.