Re: Procedures

From: Jürgen Purtz <juergen(at)purtz(dot)de>
To: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Procedures
Date: 2020-08-22 15:21:33
Lists: pgsql-docs

On 22.08.20 13:05, Robin Abbi wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Aug 2020 at 23:52, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us
> <mailto:bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>> wrote:
>
> I developed the attached patach for this.  Is this sufficient?
>

> Would it be appropriate to consider including some language with a
> similar information content to this
>
> " ... prior to PostgreSQL 11, these functions were unable to
> manage their own transactions. PostgreSQL 11 adds SQL procedures
> that can perform full transaction management within the body of a
> function, enabling developers to create more advanced server-side
> applications, such as ones involving incremental bulk data loading."
>
> from here https://www.postgresql.org/about/news/1894/ .
>
> Robin Abbi

Can we more clearly distinguish between "function" and "procedure"? eg:

"Developers have been able to create user-defined functions in
PostgreSQL since decades, but functions are unable to manage their own
transactions. PostgreSQL 11 adds SQL procedures that can perform full
transaction management within their body, enabling developers to create
more advanced server-side applications, such as ones involving
incremental bulk data loading."

as a modification of the original release notes:

"Developers have been able to create user-defined functions in
PostgreSQL for over 20 years, but prior to PostgreSQL 11, these
functions were unable to manage their own transactions. PostgreSQL 11
adds SQL procedures that can perform full transaction management within
the body of a function, enabling developers to create more advanced
server-side applications, such as ones involving incremental bulk data

J. Purtz