Defining a "tinyint" data type - one byte unsigned

From: Shachar Shemesh <psql(at)shemesh(dot)biz>
To: PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Defining a "tinyint" data type - one byte unsigned
Date: 2004-03-10 22:03:32
Lists: pgsql-patches

Hi all,

Attached is a patch to implement "tinyint". This is a one byte unsigned
integer type. It is required for porting applications built for
sql-server that work in binary mode.

This is my first attempt at hacking postgresql proper, so please be
patient with me. I have run it on 7.5 locally, and it passes all tests.
If there was anything else I should have done before submitting it,
please let me know.

I chose "10" as the oid for the new type, as it seems to sort well in
the types sizes list (21 is int2, 23 is int4). I took the OID for the
conversion functions from the top to avoid collisions.

Also, I'm interested in knowning whether there is any chance of
introducing anything of this like into 7.4, or whether I should create
that as an extrenal type there.

Thanks,

Shachar

--