Re: COMMENT ON [GROUP/USER]

From: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: COMMENT ON [GROUP/USER]
Date: 2004-03-08 20:20:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
>> Another problem is that pg_description is per-database, while
>> pg_user/group are global for all databases.
>>

> databases are also per cluster, but we have comments on those.
>
> Could we keep the user/group comments in those tables instead of in
> pg_description?

The comments are stored only in the database's pg_description where
the COMMENT ON took place. This caused dump/reload problems. I
believe Rod Taylor added the new warning:

[estore(at)lexus] select count(*) from pg_description;
count
-------
1541
(1 row)

[estore(at)lexus] COMMENT ON DATABASE test IS 'Hello';
WARNING: database comments may only be applied to the current database
COMMENT

[estore(at)lexus] select count(*) from pg_description;
count
-------
1541
(1 row)

[estore(at)lexus] COMMENT ON DATABASE estore IS 'A good comment';
COMMENT

[estore(at)lexus] select count(*) from pg_description;
count
-------
1542
(1 row)

[test(at)lexus] select count(*) from pg_description;
count
-------
1541
(1 row)