Re: pg_dumpall and owner of the extension

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: kaido vaikla <kaido(dot)vaikla(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dumpall and owner of the extension
Date: 2024-01-23 16:13:42
Lists: pgsql-admin

kaido vaikla <kaido(dot)vaikla(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> So pg_dumpall is not aware who ran "CREATE EXTENSION"?

Yeah, pg_dump makes no effort to restore extensions with the same
owner. This didn't matter back when the feature was designed,
because you had to be superuser to install most interesting
extensions. I suppose we should revisit the choice sometime.
There's no ALTER EXTENSION OWNER command, though, so it would
need to be done in a different way from other object types.
Not sure offhand what the downsides of that would be.