postgres zeroization of dead tuples ? i.e scrubbing dead tuples with sensitive data.

From: "Day, David" <dday(at)redcom(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: postgres zeroization of dead tuples ? i.e scrubbing dead tuples with sensitive data.
Date: 2015-11-18 19:45:52
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

One of my co-workers came out of a NIST cyber-security type meeting today and asked me to delve into postgres and zeroization.

I am casually aware of mvcc issues and vacuuming

I believe the concern, based on my current understanding of postgres inner workings, is that when a dead tuple is reclaimed by vacuuming: Is that reclaimed space initialized in some fashion that would shred any sensitive data that was formerly there to any inspection by the subsequent owner of that disk page ? ( zeroization )

Not sure that is the exact question to ask but hopefully you get a feel for the requirement is not to leave any sensitive data laying about for
recovery by a hacker, or at least minimize the places it could be obtained without actually being able to log into postgres or having raw disk access privileges.

Thanks for any comments/instruction/links on the matter.

Regards

Dave Day