Updating tables from file

From: Lorenzo Thurman <lthurman(at)northwestern(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Updating tables from file
Date: 2002-11-27 20:58:05
Lists: pgsql-novice

This is probably more a novice SQL question than a Postgres question, but I
thought I'd try here first:

I have a table with data in it that I would like to update it with similar
data in a file. The fields in both are laid out like this:
username {PK} data1 int2 data2 int data3 int3

For each username, I want to sum the corresponding integer fields and have
the resulting data placed into a second table. How can I script this in
Postgres?

Thanks!

Lorenzo Thurman lthurman(at)northwestern(dot)edu
Tech/Cresap Lab Manager voice: 847-467-6565
Academic Technologies pager: 847-536-0094
Hours: 8:30a-4:30p Office: Tech MG49