Re: array_agg() does not stop aggregating according to HAVING clause

From: Dimitrios Apostolou <jimis(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: array_agg() does not stop aggregating according to HAVING clause
Date: 2024-08-17 15:35:39
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, 17 Aug 2024, Tom Lane wrote:

> Well, yes: the two aggregates (array_agg and count) are computed
> concurrently in a single Aggregate plan node scanning the output
> of the JOIN. There's no way to apply the HAVING filter until
> after the aggregation is finished.
>
> I think this approach is basically forced by the SQL standard's
> semantics for grouping/aggregation.

FWIW I also tried:

HAVING array_length(array_agg(run_n), 1) < 10;

but I saw the same amount of temp files, at least in the short duration of
my test run.

Thank you, I will split this into two passes like you suggested. It's just
that I'm doing another 3 passes over this table for different things I
calculate (different GROUP BY, different WHERE clauses) and I was hoping
to minimize the time spent. But avoiding the array_agg() over everything
is my top priority ATM so I'll definitely try.

Regards,
Dimitris