Varidic function (printf) not found within a trigger

From: Vincenzo Romano <vincenzo(dot)romano(at)notorand(dot)it>
To: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Varidic function (printf) not found within a trigger
Date: 2010-01-20 13:47:20
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all.

Within a trigger function I need to call a variadic function (actually
the printf found on http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Sprintf).
When the trigger is fired I get the following:

function printf(text, timestamp without time zone, timestamp without
time zone, text) does not exist
LINE 1: SELECT printf( $l1$
^
HINT: No function matches the given name and argument types. You
might need to add explicit type casts.

Is this a bug or am I missing something important?

--
Vincenzo Romano
NotOrAnd Information Technologies