Re: PostgreSQL and Windows 10 exception 0xC0000018

From: George Neuner <gneuner2(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: Moreno Andreo <moreno(dot)andreo(at)evolu-s(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL and Windows 10 exception 0xC0000018
Date: 2016-05-05 18:14:28
Lists: pgsql-general

On 5/5/2016 1:17 PM, Moreno Andreo wrote:
> Il 05/05/2016 18:40, George Neuner ha scritto:
>> Otherwise: if Postgresql is loading any non-standard extensions, I
>> would try to check those DLLs. If you have a recent Visual Studio
>> handy, run "link /dump /headers <file>" on the DLLs and look for any
>> that say "fixed base" under "DLL characteristics". If you find more
>> than one that have the same "image base" address, then you've got a
>> problem.
> No extensions here, but I'll give a try. Since I have to do this on
> customer box (without VS) I'll try and find a "smaller package" than a
> VS install...
> In this cases it's better to try everything that makes sense... :-)

There's a free utility called "wumpbin"
(http://www.benf.org/other/wumpbin/) which claims to be a clone of VS
dumpbin.exe. AFAICT it works on Win7, but I don't have Win10 available
to try it there. And I can't vouch for its accuracy - I have only toyed
with it.

dumpbin itself appears to be deprecated. It's still in VS and it still
works, but "link /dump ..." is now the preferred method.

George