Re: DocBook 5.2

From: Jürgen Purtz <juergen(at)purtz(dot)de>
To: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DocBook 5.2
Date: 2022-09-27 07:12:45
Lists: pgsql-docs

>> Yeah, I think we'd have to convert all the supported versions to
>> make this palatable. If the conversion is sufficiently automated,
>> that might not be a big lift. (If it's*not* automated, I think
>> the change would never get off the ground even for HEAD, because
>> the docs are too much of a moving target.)
> +1

The process is totally automated. There are general steps which work for
every DocBook 4.x book. And there are Postgres-specific steps
(doRealModifictions.sh) which looks for individual patterns per file.
This is the critical part. Currently it's tested only with HEAD. My
expectation is, that it should work also for translations to other
languages because the patterns contain only elements and attributes, no
text. But if they run against older versions it's likely that we need
some changes or additional patterns. I'm willing to work on this if a)
there is a consensus in the community that the work should go on and b)
someone helps me to resolve the reported unacceptable runtime problem
during PDF generation.

--

J. Purtz