starting pgaccess

From: paul simdars <psimdars(at)lisco(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: starting pgaccess
Date: 2002-03-08 15:55:32
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

I am trying to use pgaccess. I have postgres installed and I created a
database. I go to an Xterm and login as postgres and start the
postmaster with "pg_ctl start -l logfile". Then I go to a different Xterm
and I start pgaccess, 'open' a database and get an error saying,
'Error trying to connect to database 'xyz' on host localhost'. It also
says, "Is the server runnint on host localhost and accepting TCP/IP
connections on port 5432?".
I know the apache server is running and I can open a web page that
accesses the database I want to connect to. Is that what they are
asking about? If so, then that isn't the problem. Unless I have to
create a new postgres user for pgaccess like I created a user 'apache'
for the apache server to be able to access the database. Any help would
be appreciated because it looks like it will be a good tool.
Thank you.
Paul