can long-lived transactions cause problems?

From: David Powell <david(at)drp(dot)id(dot)au>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: can long-lived transactions cause problems?
Date: 2009-08-05 00:02:52
Lists: pgsql-novice

Greetings,

I have an application which is using long idle transactions. Whenever
a transaction is commited, a new transaction is started which may then
sit idle until the next client access. This was working fine until I
attempted to use pg_reorg to cluster a table in the database.

It seems that pg_reorg blocks indefinitely if there is an open
transaction on the database. I assume this is because pg_reorg is
attempting to grab some type of lock? I can probably avoid this
particular problem, but does anyone known if I'm likely to run into
any other problems by having long lived transactions?

Thanks,

-- David