Re: Another view

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Roberto Taglia <roberto_taglia(at)hotmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-novice(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Another view
Date: 2020-03-25 10:26:14
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Wed, 2020-03-25 at 10:10 +0000, Roberto Taglia wrote:
> I'm coming from SQL server world and when i use PGADMIN4, i'm very disappointed to find my tables if i have more than on schema.
>
> In SSMS, i have the following :
> + [database]
> > + [Tables]
> > > schemaName1.TableName1
> > > schemaName2.TableName1
> > > schemaName3.TableName1
>
> I've got all my table in just few clicks.
>
> In PGADMIN4, it's a little bit painful , to access TableName1, i must click 5 times and again 5 times more for another table of another schema :
> + [database]
> > + [Schemas]
> > > + schemaName1

> SSMS is more efficient and saves my time every day.
> To save my time, i must reconsider creating ONLY one schema, it is not best practice.
>
> Will you implement another database explorer view for PGADMIN4 ?

If you want a flexible and convenient PostgreSQL client tool, use psql.

There, you can do what you want with

\dt schemaname*.tablename1

Not a single click is necessary!

It is also possible to use an SQL query:

SELECT table_schema, table_name
FROM information_schema.tables
ORDER BY table_name, table_schema;

That will also be possible with pgAdmin's query tool.

It is not a good idea to choose a database design based on convenience
in using a certain schema browser.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe