PostgreSQL Array Syntax

From: Evan Klinger <eklinger(at)uci(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL Array Syntax
Date: 2004-01-05 21:47:46
Lists: pgsql-sql

Good afternoon.

I am attempting to create a PHP script that inserts values into a
PostgreSQL database, where some of the columns are two dimensional
arrays. I read the docs and it says that array elements must be matched
and that is what I am confused about. Does that mean that
ARRAY[['eng_labs'], ['eng_labs', 'mst_labs', 'ics_labs']] is incorrect
array syntax? If so, I am assuming that the way to correct it would be:
ARRAY[['eng_labs', '', ''], ['eng_labs', 'mst_labs', 'ics_labs']]. Thus,
each multidimensional array must have values in place for the largest
element, correct?

Thank you for your time
Evan Klinger
--