Re: Double linked list with one pointer

From: Manfred Spraul <manfred(at)colorfullife(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Double linked list with one pointer
Date: 2003-12-07 17:19:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu> writes:
>

>>Treating pointers as integers is technically nonportable but
>>realistically you would be pretty hard pressed to find any
>>architecture anyone runs postgres on where there isn't some integer
>>datatype that you can cast both directions from pointers safely.
>>

>... like, say, Datum. We already make that assumption, so there's no
>new portability risk involved.

There is a new type in C99 for "integer that can hold a pointer value".
I think it's called intptr_t resp. uintptr_t, but I don't have the
standard around.
It will be necessary for a 64-bit Windows port: Microsoft decided that
pointer are 64-bit on WIN64, int&long remain 32-bit. Microsoft's own
typedefs are UINT_PTR, DWORD_PTR, INT_PTR.

--
Manfred