Re: Pronouncing PostgreSQL

From: Alex Satrapa <alex(at)lintelsys(dot)com(dot)au>
To: John Wells <jb(at)sourceillustrated(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pronouncing PostgreSQL
Date: 2003-12-04 01:22:53
Lists: pgsql-general

John Wells wrote:
> Ok...this has irritated me for sometime. I've seen reference to dividing
> it up into proper syllables in the mailing archives, but couldn't find
> pronunciation of the "gres" part...

FOLDOC (Free Online Dictionary of Computing) says:

PostgreSQL
<database> /'post-gres-kyu-el/ An enhancement of the
POSTGRES database system.

Though I tend to pronounce that last syllable as "ell" not "el". The
difference is one of those trivial matters which Alexander Pope observed
are responsible for starting the greatest conflicts.

"you will go to *Dell* if you don't print my *label*".

Alex