Re: transaction processing after error in statement

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Holger Jakobs <holger(at)jakobs(dot)com>
Cc: sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: transaction processing after error in statement
Date: 2003-11-12 21:17:46
Lists: pgsql-sql

Holger Jakobs wrote:

> Calling a procedure is a statement as well, and it includes all other
> procedures called from this procedure. So the statement level is always
> the statements that were carried out directly in the transaction. If
> anything within one statement fails, the statement was not carried out
> and must not have any effect. It is not important whether the procedure
> was fired by a trigger or called by another procedure.

So you define the smalles unit being one single statement as issued by
the client application and receiving one single returncode over the
frontend/backend protocol.

That's almost what people think of as subtransactions. I think if we
ever implement them, we will have some session setting that lets the
backend behave like that and your needs will be satisfied.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #