Process Files

From: Rudi Starcevic <rudi(at)oasis(dot)net(dot)au>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Process Files
Date: 2003-11-06 05:55:50
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

I'm moving a Postgresql database onto a co-located server - a Linux
Virtual Server.

Today I got some error's in my logs:

ERROR: _mdfd_getrelnfd: cannot open relation virtualusertable: Cannot
allocate memory
If I reboot it goes away but has been reappearing.

I'd like to try limiting the amount of files per process.
By default, I believe Postgres is configured to permit 1000 open files
per process,
and my server currently has 9 postgres processes running.

Is there an option I can configure to do this ??

Many thanks
Regards
Rudi Starcevic