Re: Database Kernels and O_DIRECT

From: Manfred Spraul <manfred(at)colorfullife(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Database Kernels and O_DIRECT
Date: 2003-10-16 05:51:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> I have wondered (somewhat fruitlessly) for several years about the
> possibilities of special purpose lightweight file systems that could
> relax some of the assumptions and checks used in general purpose file
> systems. Such a thing might provide most of the benefits of a
> "database kernel" without imposing anything extra on the database
> application layer.

CPU is usually cheap compared to disk io.

There are two things that might be worth looking into:
Oracle released their cluster filesystem (ocfs) as a GPL driver for
Linux. It might be interesting to check how it performs if used for
postgres, but I fear that it implicitely assumes that the bulk of the
caching is performed by the database in user space.
And using O_DIRECT for the WAL logs - the logs are never read.

--
Manfred