Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL query failed: ERROR: pg_atoi: zero-length

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: shreedhar <shreedhar(at)lucidindia(dot)net>, Postgre General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Postgre Admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL query failed: ERROR: pg_atoi: zero-length
Date: 2003-09-23 14:52:02
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

>Looks like line 73 of your /xxx/database.inc PHP script is submitting a query
>formated with a zero length string instead of a number. Look for the variable
>being formated into the query string being undefined thereby leading to the
>somethat that looks like:
>
> delete from aaa where id =
>
>instead of a more normal:
>
> delete from aaa where id = 44
>
>You wouldn't believe the number of times I've explained that error message to a
>PHP developer.

Older versions of PostgreSQL would allow a '' to be inserted as an
integer base value which is illegal. Newer
versions do not allow a '' to be inserted into a integer base value.
Thus if you have a query that may return
'' as an integer base value, you should run it through a condition to
make the '' == NULL which is valid.

Sincerely,

Joshua Drake