Re: Sort order with spaces?

From: Kristian Jörg <krjg(at)devo(dot)se>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sort order with spaces?
Date: 2003-09-17 14:26:59
Lists: pgsql-sql

Tom Lane wrote:

>=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Kristian_J=F6rg?= <krjg(at)devo(dot)se> writes:
>

>>Unfortunately this does not seem to help! I dumped the database,
>>recreated the cluster with initdb with LC_COLLATE = C (and even tried
>>setting LC_CTYPE to C also), and restored the database. The same
>>ordering appears...
>>

>You didn't do it right then ...
>
>7.2's initdb is not helpful about telling you exactly what locale
>settings it's using, but you could use the contrib/pg_controldata
>utility to check what LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE settings got used.
>(If you don't want to build pg_controldata, "strings
>$PGDATA/global/pg_control" will do as a rough-and-ready substitute.)

Unfortunately I am using a binary distribution from a RPM package, so I
don't have the source. Tried the strings stuff though and that worked. I
have sv_SE as locale for sure. So you are corect. I did not do initdb
correctly. Shame on me... :-)

>Theoretically it should work to do
> export LC_COLLATE=C
> export LC_CTYPE=C
> initdb
>but if you have LANG or other LC_xxx values in your environment,
>it's possible that there is some conflict.
>
> regards, tom lane

It is possible my locale settings did not get through to initdb since I
tried using the startup postgres command in /etc/init.d (with som
modifications of course). I will try again manually this time!

Regards Kristian

--
\\|//
(@ @)