postgres help

From: Jason House <jhouse(at)mitre(dot)org>
To: cygwin(at)cygwin(dot)com, pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: jason(at)tishler(dot)net
Subject: postgres help
Date: 2003-08-22 23:12:33
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

I've gone through all the steps to set up postgreSQL on windows XP. I
have updated permissions (to /tmp /usr/bin /usr/bin/*), verified the
system path variable, and verified that ipc and postmaster services have
been started. I don't understand why I'm getting the following error:

$ psql -U postgres template1
psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

The error does not change if I log in as myself or as postgres.
Any hints as to what to try would be greatly appreciated.