looking for empty fields

From: Jodi Kanter <jkanter(at)virginia(dot)edu>
To: Postgres SQL List <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: looking for empty fields
Date: 2003-08-06 14:07:29
Lists: pgsql-sql

We recently upgraded from version 7.2.3 to 7.3.3 and seem to have some
code that has broken. We were doing checks in various locations looking
for nulls and/or empty fields. To search for empty fields we said
something like

select count(am_pk) from arraymeasurement where al_fk is null or al_fk='';

Is this not allowed anymore? All my check with the double ticks are
failing. I assume there is a difference in postgres between an empty and
null field. How can I check for both in 7.3.3?
Thanks
Jodi
--

Jodi L Kanter