Re: like performance w/o wildcards.

From: Joseph Shraibman <jks(at)selectacast(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: like performance w/o wildcards.
Date: 2003-08-05 00:48:44
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
> Joseph Shraibman <jks(at)selectacast(dot)net> writes:
>
>>What percentage of locales have this problem? Does latin1 have this problem?
>

> Latin1 is an encoding, not a locale. To a first approximation, I'd say
> *all* non-C locales have some kind of sorting funny business.

OK this clears things up a bit. The locale on my production server (redhat) is set to
en_US, which explains why LIKE doesn't use an index. Do I just have to reset the locale
environment variable and restart postgres? What might the side effects of that be?

>>And what about my original idea, can LIKE be turned into an = when there are no wildcards?
>

> It does ... if the index-conversion optimization is enabled at all.

Sorry, what is 'index-conversion optimization' and when is it enabled?