Exception table ...

From: Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Exception table ...
Date: 2003-07-18 19:03:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I have just seen a nice feature provided by DB2 which seems very useful
to me.
When importing huge amounts of data (dozens of gigs) with the help of
COPY errors might occur from time to time (especially when migrating).
The problem with COPY is that it stops after the first error. So if the
first problem occurs after 200.000.000 records it is somehow annoying to
do the entire stuff again. If we had an option telling COPY to log all
problems into a logtable or into a separate logfile we could finish the
import and rollback the transaction after trying to import everything.
This would help a lot when migrating or importing a lot of data because
all problems with an import could be fixed at once based on the
exception table.
Did anybody think about a feature like that in the past? Does it make
sense to the group?

Best regards,

Hans

--
Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig
Ludo-Hartmannplatz 1/14, A-1160 Vienna, Austria