Re: Another "benchmark" of MySQL/PostgreSQL on MySQL maillist

From: "Shridhar Daithankar" <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>
Subject: Re: Another "benchmark" of MySQL/PostgreSQL on MySQL maillist
Date: 2003-07-15 09:55:15
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On 15 Jul 2003 at 13:29, Alexey Borzov wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Here it is:
> http://lists.mysql.com/list.php?1:mss:145114:mbnfmalgopgpdmpooeho
>
> I already asked the author whether he tried to reasonably tune
> PostgreSQL before benchmarking. It will be good if some "official"
> PostgreSQL folks help with the discussion.

Well, yes. Ask him to come over to performance list, if he cares. I doubt that
looking at the entire thread. Only couple of sensible postings with a benchmark
page at http://www.sergeant.org/sqlite_vs_pgsync.html for which I couldn't find
postgresql.conf file. Furthermore sqllite results do not agree with
http://www.sqlite.org/speed.html in themselves..

> I think that if the author of the "benchmark" really wants to get decent
> performance (and not to bash Postgres) then he will re-run the stuff.
> And that's a good possibility to show MySQL users the real performance
> situation --- and in their own maillist. ;

I won't be too optimistic about that. But worth a try..

Bye
Shridhar

--
bit, n: A unit of measure applied to color. Twenty-four-bit color refers to
expensive $3 color as opposed to the cheaper 25 cent, or two-bit, color that