Re: Efficiency of timestamps

From: Martin Foster <martin(at)ethereal-realms(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Efficiency of timestamps
Date: 2003-07-09 06:51:42
Lists: pgsql-performance

Stephan Szabo wrote:

> Well, the reason I asked is to see both whether the estimates for the
> various columns were somewhere near reality (if not, then you may need to
> raise the statistics target for the column) which might affect whether
> it'd consider using a multi-column index for the conditions and sort
> rather than the index scan it was using.

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

I'm going to have to pull out the 'Practical PostgreSQL' book and brush
up on optimizing. This level of optimization is not something I have
had to deal with in the past.

Also to make this interesting. The sub-query method is faster at times
and slower in others. But doing two separate queries and working on
the PostIDNumber field exclusively is always blazingly fast...

Martin Foster
Creator/Designer Ethereal Realms
martin(at)ethereal-realms(dot)org