Re: Performance question

From: Jean-Christian Imbeault <jc(at)mega-bucks(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance question
Date: 2003-07-02 06:56:52
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:

> Fair enough, it would do that. But you still need the surrounding retry
> logic to cope when a collision does happen.

Why retry logic? I thought that if there was a collision one of the
insert attempts would necessarily succeed and all the others fails. So
no need for a retry since the record (pk) was inserted.

What I am trying to duplicate is if an inserts into a primary key field
is a duplicate it fails silently. If it isn't or there are multiple
attempts at the same time to insert the *same* new primary key, the new
pk is inserted.

The suggested method does guarantee an insert if it there is a collision
right? If not I need to find a new solution :(

Jean-Christian Imbeault