list ranking

From: Jodi Kanter <jkanter(at)virginia(dot)edu>
To: Postgres Admin List <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: list ranking
Date: 2003-06-13 19:00:39
Lists: pgsql-admin

We have a set of records in a table that needs to be ranked. We thought
of adding a ranking field, but the problem is that the ranking could
change often and there could be additions and deletions from the list.
Updating this ranking field is quickly going to get messy.

Is anyone familiar with link surgery? Can we do this with a doubly
linked list? Is there a standard database solution for doubly linked
lists? or another way to solve this that I don't see?
Any suggestions on structure would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jodi
--

Jodi L Kanter