Re: Standard Solutions with Perl DBI::Pg for results tables

From: Dennis Gearon <gearond(at)cvc(dot)net>
To: psql-mail(at)freeuk(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Standard Solutions with Perl DBI::Pg for results tables
Date: 2003-05-06 19:07:47
Lists: pgsql-general

1/ 10 each per page seems small, but maybe not if your retrieved row is large.

2/ cookies can be used to store AUTHENTICATION OF A USER, but since you are not doing that, cookies probably are not what you want.

3/ Form values originally used to search with can be used, and returned using:
A/ Javascript filling in POST values and submitting, when a button is pressed
B/ GET values on a URL on a button.
C/ GET values on a URL on a text anchor

4/ to do 3 above, you will need either:
A/ A cursor search in your original and second search.
B/ A simulated cursor using the files system stored result set,
in the manner of PHP library 'ADODB'. Perhaps
Perl has such a library.

It comes down to two parts:

A/ returning the same search criteria with a page begin and page size value
in a form.
B/ using native or simulated cursors to access the search