Re: Problems with C Language Functions after upgrade to 7.3.2

From: Stefan Holzheu <stefan(dot)holzheu(at)bitoek(dot)uni-bayreuth(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problems with C Language Functions after upgrade to 7.3.2
Date: 2003-04-08 16:28:36
Lists: pgsql-admin

Thank, for the fast response

>>In 7.1.3 triggers worked fine. With 7.3.2 triggers work in most cases
>>but in some cases execution fails at fork or exec.

> Fails how? What's the error code exactly?

fork: errno 2 /* No such file or directory */
exec: errno 11 /* Try again */

> The notion of running external programs from a trigger strikes me as a
> really bad idea in any case. (What happens if the transaction gets
> rolled back later? You won't be able to undo whatever the external
> program did.)

That's true, and we are aware of this problem. But it is still better to
have the database to do this than a web server.
Would you prefere to use a normal function?

Thanks in advance

Stefan

> But I don't know any reason why it would work less well
> now than in 7.1.
>
> regards, tom lane

Dr. Stefan Holzheu
Tel.: 0921/55-5720