create databases with plpgsql

From: sirius <fhw0044remove(at)hsw(dot)fhz(dot)ch>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: create databases with plpgsql
Date: 2003-04-08 09:54:05
Lists: pgsql-sql

a novice has the following challenge (problem):

I would like to create a certain number of new databases named stud01,
stud02...to stud25 with a plpgsql-script. But I have difficulties to
create a new database with a script. I saw a lot of different scripts in
the manuals to create tables, but no new db.

Generally, is it possible at all? Do you may have any suggestions,
workarounds, ideas?

any help will be appreciated...

I tried the these simple script without any loop, unfortunately without
success:

create or replace function createDB(text) returns text as '
DECLARE
DBname ALIAS FOR $1;
sqlquery text;
result text;
BEGIN
sqlquery := ''CREATE DATABASE %'', DBname;
EXECUTE( sqlquery );
RETURN DBname
END;
' language 'plpgsql';