Simpler question about timestamp

From: Dennis Gearon <gearond(at)cvc(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Simpler question about timestamp
Date: 2003-04-04 18:37:37
Lists: pgsql-general

According to the manual, all datetimes are stored in UTC/GMT values, not matter
what your time zone is.

Please correct my limited understanding below:

timestamp
any time zone imput is ignored
time zone demarcation in output is optional
timestamp value is adjusted to local time zone on output
CAN BE USED in functional indexes because no timezone change.

timestamptz
time zone imput is required
time zone demarcation in output is optional
timestamp value is adjusted to local time zone on output
CANNOT BE USED in functional indexes because no timezone change.

Anything I miss? Why use one or the other?