Re: Rows as Columns

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: James Taylor <jtx(at)hatesville(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Rows as Columns
Date: 2003-04-02 06:26:10
Lists: pgsql-sql

James Taylor wrote:
> This would return something like:
>
> name | data
> ------------------------
> first_name | Sam
> last_name | Smith
> phone_number | 555-1212
>

> Well, I need it to somehow return that data in this format:
>
> first_name | last_name | phone_number
> Sam | Smith | 555-1212
>
> The information in Types is not static, so I can't declare the col names
> based on what you see here.

If you know at query writing time, which attributes (distinct values of
name from the types table) you want, then you could use the crosstab
function from contrib/tablefunc (except you'll need a newer version --
see url below):

regression=# select d.cust_id, t.name, d.data from types t, data d where
d.t_key = t.id;
cust_id | name | data
---------+--------------+----------
1 | first_name | Sam
2 | first_name | John
1 | last_name | Smith
1 | phone_number | 555-1212
(4 rows)

regression=# select * from crosstab('select d.cust_id, t.name, d.data
from types t, data d where d.t_key = t.id order by 1','select distinct
name from types') as (cust_id int, fn text, ln text, pn text);
cust_id | fn | ln | pn
---------+------+-------+----------
1 | Sam | Smith | 555-1212
2 | John | |
(2 rows)

The version of crosstab() distributed with Postgres 7.3.x cannot do
exactly this, but you can get the latest (same as what is in cvs for
7.4) here:

http://www.joeconway.com/

You want "contrib/tablefunc with hashed crosstab"

HTH,

Joe