character coding problems

From: Jean-Christian Imbeault <jc(at)mega-bucks(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: pgsql-jdbc <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: character coding problems
Date: 2003-04-01 02:19:20
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

I have an EUC-JP database. I haven't had any problems retrieving
japanese data from it until today.

The problem I have is with the following string.

北品川5−5−19

(it may not be obvious but the numbers are double-byte(width) and so are
the hyphens).

When I retrieve the string in Java and print it out I get the following:

北品川5?5?19

The double-byte(width) hyphen prints out as a "?". I am assuming that
this a problem with unicode not recognizing the double-width hyphen?

What is the proper way to get around this problem?

Thanks!

Jean-Christian Imbeault