Re: Big insert/delete memory problems

From: Kurt Overberg <kurt(at)hotdogrecords(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Big insert/delete memory problems
Date: 2003-03-18 20:54:43
Lists: pgsql-general

Hmmmm....are you running on RedHat 7.3? I'm not using any plpgsql,
triggers or foreignkeys. Very simple DB. I'm using the pre-compiled
RPM version of 7.3.2 on the production machine. I have a similar
environment setup running under Debian (woody), but that's a version
that I compiled from the source, and I can't really seem to duplicate
this behavior. Things are kinda moving around a bit, because I'm
switching from Struts DB pooling to the Postgresql driver JDBC2 pooling
mechanism as well (this is a live production server, and I gotta get
this thing fixed so I can get some sleep and stop having to babysit the
site), so I'm throwing everything I can think of at this. So here's the
main question:

During a large select/insert like this, the memory use of the pgsql
backend goes up, right? Is it supposed to go down afterwards? I just
need one fact to hang on to here to help me work this out. I think my
plan at this point is to compile 7.3.2 on redhat with a fresh install
and see how that behaves.

Thanks again, Tom. I appreciate your help.

/kurt