Re: Audit trail

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: James Gregory <james(at)anchor(dot)net(dot)au>
Cc: Jeff Fitzmyers <jeff(at)cloverpub(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Audit trail
Date: 2003-03-13 04:40:37
Lists: pgsql-general

James Gregory wrote:
> I considered that. Trouble is that I'd have to write this code in 5 or 6
> different languages, one of which is pl/pgsql. Likewise I'd need to test
> all those different implementations (and it would be impractical to
> retrofit this to the pl/pgsql stuff).
>
> So yeah, I really need the database to do it itself.

There is no "native" audit feature built in to Postgres, but it is easy
enough to implement using audit tables and plpgsql function triggers on
the application tables. See:

http://www.us.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.3/postgres/triggers.html
http://www.us.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.3/postgres/plpgsql-trigger.html

Joe