Re: Novice needs help

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Terry Lee Tucker <terry(at)esc1(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Novice needs help
Date: 2003-03-11 20:59:07
Lists: pgsql-sql

Terry Lee Tucker wrote:
> I have loaded over 29,000 customer records into a database. I'm trying
> to apply a referential foreign key that validates the country code and
> the province code in another table. It won't work because somewhere in
> that 29,000 records there is a province code or country code that
> doesn't match. Is there a way to use a select statement to find out
> which customer records has the invalid data? Here is the partial table
> layout:
>
> cust province
> country ===> country
> province ===> code

If I understand correctly, something like this should work (not tested):

select c.country, c.province from cust c left join province p on
c.country = p.country and c.province = p.code where p.country is null;

or alternatively

select c.country, c.province from cust c where not exists (select 1 from
province p where p.country = c.country and p.code = c.province);

Joe